Thursday, October 18, 2007

A Visit to SLC

So we flew up to SLC for a 24 hour whirlwind tour last weekend. First, we tried to beat the clock when we landed by sending Todd to pick up our rental car. See how happy Morgan and Hilary were as we waited at the WRONG pick-up curb while Todd waited at the RIGHT pick-up curb.

Then we drove over to Grandpa Wood's house for his 80th birthday celebration. In this pic, he is looking at the photo album all the kids and grandkids contributed pics to for his gift. Great food, and lots of laughter. Living away from family makes us appreciate times like this when we can be together and catch up with everyone.

The next day we spent time with two of our favorite people in the world. Andrea's aunt Kalani and uncle Cal. They pretty much raised me, and since my parents died, they have been the only parents I have. Last December, Cal was diagnosed with a brain tumor. But with surgery, radiation, and some amazing chemo, he is beating all the odds. He never quits. In fact , his doctors keep telling him to slow down, but in reality, he doesn't know how. I owe pretty much all I am and all I know to my aunt and uncle. Cal baptized me when I was eight, so pretty much, my activity in the church is in great part due to him. He taught me to be tough. He taught me to fish. He taught me to work. And Kalani, sacrificed more than I will ever know to take care of me when I was little. She tended me while my mom was at work, raising me with as much love and discipline as she did my cousins. She taught me how to keep a clean house, how to cook, not to whine, and I think I get some of my opinionated nature from her. Yep, these two people are as great as they come. And I'm so thankful, my daughters and my husband appreciate them and love them as much as I do.
Our trip went by way too fast, but we look forward to heading home again soon.


3 comments:

The Fletchies said...

your aunt and uncle seem amazing. I'm glad your aunt gave you your spunk and no one that has seen your ultra clean house could deny that she taught you well!

Uncle Scott said...

I wish we could hang out more often. It is really fun to see our kids having so much fun with each other. Keep blogging......

ThePalmers said...

I'm think we saw you running today about 11am on Mission Bay Drive. Brandt swears it wasn't you, but I am pretty sure it was. I waved, but you either didn't see me, or Brandt is right, and I waived at a total stranger. Anyway, hope things are great!